Like most highly qualified professionals, medical graduates in Karnataka must register with the Karnataka Medical Council (KMC) in orders to be considered a licenced doctor. The registration process is compulsory and mandated under the Karnataka Medical Registration Act, 1961 and Rules, 1963.
There are varying degrees of interaction with the KMC, ranging from application for registration for freshers to renewal of licenses. We have tried to simply this process with information about the different processes.
I. For Medical students nearing completion of MBBS and recent graduates:
For students to undertake internships, the University helps facilitate the Provisional Medical Certificate (PRC), after which the students are eligible to apply for the Permanent Registration Number. the following steps must be undertaken.
- Download UG Application Form, available on KMC website – link here. Fill application form along with PRC number and send email to Registration Section firstname.lastname@example.org for their records.
- Register on KMC Website, link here if not already Registered.
- Upload documents and make payment online
- Payment for registration can be made online and appointment can be fixed after.
- After appointment has been set- practitioners must take the original documents along with photocopies to be submitted to the KMC Office.
- Soft copy of latest Passport Size Photo/Signature/Left Thumb Impression to Registration section e-mail address: email@example.com
Documents to be Uploaded
- Internship Completion certificate
- Provisional Degree Certificate – true copy can be procured from RGHUS website –
- Final Year Marks Card
- Provisional Registration Certificate
- Address Proof – Aadhaar card preferably
- X std marks card
- NoC from Director of Medical Education (for Government Quota Students Only)
- Affidavit (example and format available here) and Rural Bond Certificate
Relevant point of Contact for Registration are Smt.Manjula.C.P./Smt.Sudha.K. Mob:7349714863
For further information on registration process and online uploading of documents, please refer this link :- http://www.karnatakamedicalcouncil.com/Upload/KMC.pdf
II. Multiple Purpose application form-
Practitioners must download the application form, available here for the following: –
- No Objection Certificates in Order to Move to another State to practise of Study
- Addition of Degree/Diploma
- Duplicate Copy of KMC
- True Copy of PRC
- Good Standing Certificate
- Change of name
- Certified Testimonials
- Verification of KMC registration
The process involves logging into the KMC practitioner profile, link shared above and paying the fees as prescribed in the application form.
III. For Renewal of licence every 5 Years
The process of renewal of K.M.C. registration starts is announced every 5 years and the last process was done in 2016. These are the following important points:-
- Renewal of registration will be done at all district centres. Place, date and time will be announced on the K.M.C. website.
- Registered practitioners can choose their place (district) of renewal according to their convenience.
- All registered practitioners should take appointment for renewal through K.M.C. website karnatakamedicalcouncil.com
- The following documents have to be scanned and uploaded:-
- M.C. registration certificate.
- CME certificates
- Address proof either Aadhar, Passport or Election ID.
- Age proof either SSLC Marks Card or Passport.
- Demand Draft for Rs.1,000/- drawn in favour of Registrar, K.M.C. payable at Bangalore.
- Work certificate (from Head of the Institution for medical college teachers & PG’s)
- Personnel coming under Exemption criteria to produce supporting document (refer http://www.karnatakamedicalcouncil.com website)
- All registered practitioners should appear physically at renewal booth on the chosen, date and time at district renewal booth with all the original copies of uploaded documents.
- At the renewal booth, photo, thumb impression and signature of the registered practitioner will be captured.
- All the documents will be verified.
- All the registered practitioners have to surrender their original K.M.C. registration certificate for which an acknowledgment will be generated.
- The above generated acknowledgement has to be preserved until you receive new original K.M.C. certificate along with a K.M.C. Smart card which will be sent to registered practitioners address mentioned in the renewal form by registered post.
IV. CME Credits Mandatory for Renewal of Licences
All doctors / medical practitioners are required to have 30 Credit Hours in five years (maximum 6 Credit Hours / year) by attending various conference / CME / workshop till the age of 65 YEARS and get their KMC Registration renewed once in 5 years.
- The KMC has approved a list of accredited CME courses, link is available here.
- Additionally, the KMC has also approved online platforms, namely Omnicuris and BMJ Learning to offer CME classes in collaboration with doctors.